Two for one: Summery separates from a jumpsuit

I bought this jumpsuit a while ago when it was really hot and for some reason my brain was so fried that I believed the slightly intimidating sales assistant when he said, “No, don’t worry, you don’t look fat in this”.¬† (For the record, he also added, “not any more than you do in what you’re wearing right now”. That’s German politeness for you.)

He was wrong.

Very wrong.

How could I remedy this monstrous error in judgement? Scissors and a sewing machine.

So I went and cut the whole thing in the middle, to separate the top from the trousers.

This was the string formerly used to tie the jumpsuit at the waist. BE GONE!

The waistband of the trousers was given a makeover with elastic and some buttons.

Gather, gather.

Inserting the elastic band into the waistband with the help of a safety pin.

Not quite finished yet but elastic holds up!

Much nicer than before if you ask me!

I didn’t change much on the top, just finished the hem.

New hemline on the top.

For the final version of the set I added leather buttons to the trousers, and tied the top with a knot.

Finished product.

Homemade wedding: Paper flower decorations and bouquet

I spent much of the last few weeks before our wedding fashioning these little  paper flowers out of second-hand book pages, pastel tissue paper, and paper that I had painted with water colours in shades of blue and orange.

Ingredients: a second-hand book, scissors, little round plates used as templates.

Painting in water colours. Doesn’t need to be perfect.

Most of the blossoms were stuck onto wooden cocktail sticks or toothpicks, with a drop of hot glue.

Photo credit by Jane Ta Photography

The vases were wine and beer bottles left over from nights in with friends, vintage milk bottles from random market stalls, and colourful jugs found in charity shops. A fun mix.

I mixed book page, and coloured blossoms, and used feathers (arts and crafts supply) here and there, too.

An army of bottles in different shapes and sizes.

Other blossoms were used as a drape on the wall using nylon string, knots, and that tiny bit of hot glue to attach them.

Wall decor.

The jewel in the crown, if you will, was my bouquet, which I made using a material called “Oasis” (foam used for floral arrangements). I cut the brick of foam into a “bouquet” shape, and decorated it with flowers on toothpicks. In the end, I tied a piece of tissue paper around the handle using a thick piece of string.

“Oasis” floral foam.

I used a normal kitchen knife to cut the block into shape.

Sticking toothpick flowers into the foam.

Photo credit by Jane Ta Photography